A Percussionist’s Crash Course
An 8-week Class For Middle & High School Band / Orchestra Students
Designed to help facilitate the growth of student percussionists, “A Percussionist’s Crash Course” will cover the fundamental principles of playing percussion and help students understand the percussionist’s role in their local school concert band or orchestra.
A large focus of instruction will cover snare drum, mallet percussion, and timpani playing basics, as these instruments are the backbone of the percussionist’s technical palette. There is also the option for more advanced instruction on these instruments if the situation permits.
Instruction on how to approach playing bass drum, cymbals, and auxiliary percussion instruments (such as tambourine, triangle, castanets, etc.) will also be covered throughout the course, as proper playing technique of these instruments is often overlooked.
Students will improve on the below instruments in the following ways:
Snare Drum – stick control, hand to hand strokes, loud playing versus soft playing, basic rudiments such as flams and drags, loud rolls, and soft rolls.
Mallets (xylophone, vibraphone, marimba) – sight reading, pitch identification, memorization, scales, basic theory and harmony
Timpani – tuning and interval training, natural, staccato, and legato strokes and rolls
Bass Drum, Cymbals and Auxiliary – how to approach or hold the instrument, basic sound production
A Percussionist’s Crash Course Highlights
- The class is tailored for middle and high school band and orchestra students
- Class size is between 5 and 10 students
- Convenient location and spacious parking
- Fun and engaging group music lessons with our experienced music instructors
- Repertoire based on the student’s preferred style of music
- Performance opportunities at the Student Showcases held on our stage and at other events held throughout Orange County
- Access to a professional recording studio through free recording studio classes
- The very best music instructors with great performing and teaching experience
A Percussionist’s Crash Course Prices
The Percussionist’s Crash Course is structured as an 8 week courses that meets once a week for half an hour.
Prices: $160 for the entire 8-week program
Schedule: Mondays at 6:30pm
All music lessons include:
- Participation in 6 Student Showcases per year, at no extra cost
- Video/audio recording of student’s performances at each Showcase
- Opportunities to sing at events held at the Music Vault Academy
- Opportunities to sing at nearby community events and festivals
- Recording studio classes
- Production deals (by invitation only)
- Free clinics, shows and events
Our Percussion Teachers
All of our music teachers have many years of teaching, playing and performing experience; with most being graduates of, and having master degrees from, some of the best music conservatories and universities in the country: Harvard University, Cleveland Institute of Music, Rice University, Texas Christian University, Southern Methodist University, Boston Conservatory, and University of Southern California. Excellent music instruction and great learning experience are our top priorities and that starts with having the very best music teachers and all the support the school can give them. Our teachers are great with children, adults, beginners or advanced students, and are dedicated to helping you achieve your goals.